Spring Household Tips
The chill is leaving the air, the sun is shining, trees are budding out and flowers are blooming. Spring has finally arrived! Action Plumbing, Heating, Air & Electrical wants to remind you of a few spring tips to help you quickly get ready for the season.
- Clean your shower heads. By removing any mineral buildup you will improve the overall water flow and waste less water in the shower. Plain white vinegar is an easy and inexpensive way to break down those mineral deposits.
- Test your sump pump. Don’t get caught during the spring rains with a flood and your sump pump not working. Just pour water into your sump pit and turn on the pump. Make sure that it is draining water correctly out of your house.
- Inspect your water heater. Especially if it’s a bit on the older side! Check for signs of rust colored water or extra moisture around base of the water heater.
- Put strainers on your drains. In your sinks, showers and tubs. There is nothing worse than standing in a clogged up shower knowing that there’s probably more hair clumping up you drains than there is on your head.
- Check out you gutters and downspounts. Aside from leaves and debris, it's not uncommon for small animals to take residence in gutters during the winter and early spring. Make sure everything is cleared out before it starts raining.
- Fill your drain traps. Pour about a gallon of water into infrequently used drains, including floor dains, to fill the trap and prevent sewer odors from entering the house.
- Check your water supply line hoses. Check your washing machine and dishwasher hoses for leaks or bulges. If your hoses are older than 10 years they should be replaced. Consider using braided stainless steel hoses. They last longer, resist kinking and are less likely to suffer a spectacular failure than rubber hoses.
- Check outside vents. Check plumbing vent pipes and exhaust fan vents for bird nests.
- Change your AC filters. Dirty air filters collect dander and can be a breeding ground for bacteria and germs. They will also slow down air flow and make your AC system work harder to keep your house cool. Take a load off your AC system and improve your air quality with new filters.
- Test run your AC system. Before the hot weather gets here, turn your AC system on and make sure everything is working correctly. You should be able to tell if its not working right. You will want your system running at peak efficientcy once the warmer weather settles in for a stay.
- Consider a programmable thermostat. Go hi-tech with a programmable thermostat that lets you have total control of the temperature in your home. A programable thermostat allows you to have very fine control of temperatures based on your daily schedule. This can save wear and tear on your AC system and save on your utility bills too.
If you have any questions or if you find you've got a problem, call Action Plumbing, Heating, Air & Electrical at 608-249-3747 or submit an Action Service Request now for immediate help.
Action Plumbing, Heating, Air & Electrical
Simply The Best Home Services Company In Madison Wisconsin
Action Plumbing, Heating, Air & Electrical has been providing the best plumbing, HVAC and electrical service to Madison and the surrounding areas for many years. Since 1989, we have been providing prompt, courteous and personal service to our customers. Our staff is courteous, uniformed and highly trained.
We specialize in plumbing, heating, cooling and electrical repairs and maintenance for both residential and commercial properties. Thinking of remodeling the kitchen or bathroom or even adding a brand new room to your home? We’re here to help.
When you need Action fast, call us at 608-249-3747 now!